Hardrock welcomes first time climbers; we will teach you everything you need to know to use our facilities. Anyone can have a go!
First Time Climbers
First Time Climbers
I have never climbed before. Can I just turn up?
Absolutely! When rock climbing one person climbs, whilst one person holds the rope (belaying), so you will need to come along with a partner. At Hardrock children must be 11 years or older to belay. Groups of less than 10 people do not need to book.
If you do not have anyone to climb with there are a few options:
- Our CBD venue has 4 auto-belay walls which have an automatic system allowing you to climb alone (call to check availability).
- Our Nunawading venue has a bouldering cave (bouldering is climbing at low height without ropes). Bear in mind that bouldering can be more physically demanding than roped-climbing and can be too challenging for beginners.
- Sign up for one of our CBD Beginners Courses where you will be buddied up and taught all you need to know.
How much time to allow
If you are visiting Hardrock for the first time, you will be required to undergo a Hardrock Safety Induction and Check Off process. This takes 15-30 minutes and upon successful completion, you are permitted to climb throughout the centre.
As a guide, we recommend allowing a minimum of 2 hours. Most visitors stay for 2 - 3 hours.
What to wear
Loose / comfortable clothing e.g. shorts/leggings & t-shirt.
Purpose-made climbing shoes are required and can be hired if you do not have your own.
What to bring
Socks - to wear with our climbing shoes.
Drink bottle (both our venues have a selection of cold drinks and snacks available).
|CLIMBING||ENTRY||Harness Hire||Shoe hire||Total|
|Child (Under 11)||$14.00||Included||Included||$14.00|
|Concession (See types below)||$16.00||$6.00||$6.00||$28.00|
(Only at Nunawading)
- Full time Students at Australian Universities & TAFEs
- Emergency Services
- Healthcare & Pension Card Holders
- Victorian Climbing Club Members
- La Trobe Uni Mountaineering Club Members
- Melbourne University Mountaineering Club Members
- Monash University Outdoors Club Members
- RMIT Outdoors Club Members
- General entry prices into the gym include entry and unlimited climbing for the day
- Harness and climbing shoe hire will be required if you do not have your own
- Bookings are not required for less than 10 people