Hardrock welcomes first-time climbers! Anyone can have a go!
Due to COVID-19, online pre-bookings are required.
First Time Climbers
I have never climbed before. Can I book in?
Yes! However please note that a Safety Instruction Session (duration 15-30 minutes) must be completed at the start of your 2 hour 45 min session (sessions are now of a limited duration due to COVID Restrictions).
When rock climbing one person climbs, whilst one person holds the rope (belaying), so you will need to come along with a partner. At Hardrock children must be 11 years or older to belay.
If you do not have anyone to climb with there are a few options:
- Our Nunawading venue has a bouldering cave (bouldering is climbing at low height without ropes). Bear in mind that bouldering can be more physically demanding than roped-climbing and can be too challenging for beginners.
(These options are unfortunately currently unavailable due to COVID Restrictions).
Our CBD venue has 4 auto-belay walls which have an automatic system allowing you to climb alone (call to check availability).
- Sign up for one of our CBD Beginners Courses where you will be buddied up and taught all you need to know.
How much time to allow
If you are visiting Hardrock for the first time, you will be required to undergo a Hardrock Safety Induction and Assessment process. This takes 15-30 minutes and upon successful completion, you are permitted to climb throughout the centre.
What to wear
Loose / comfortable clothing e.g. shorts/leggings & t-shirt.
Purpose-made climbing shoes are required and can be hired if you do not have your own.
What to bring
Socks - to wear with our climbing shoes.
Drink bottle (both our venues have a selection of cold drinks and snacks available).
|CLIMBING||ENTRY||Harness Hire||Shoe hire||Total|
|Child (Aged 11-17)||$18.00||$2.00||$2.00||$22.00|
|Child (Aged under 11)||$16.00||Included||Included||$16.00|
|Student / Concession / Clubs (See below)||$18.00||$6.00||$6.00||$30.00|
(Only at Nunawading)
Student / Concession Pricing
- Full time Students at Australian Universities & TAFEs
- Emergency Services
- Healthcare & Pension Card Holders
Clubs PricingMembers of the following clubs / organisations:
- Mountaineering Victoria | Climbing QTs
- Victorian Climbing Club | Aus. Climbing Association Vic.
- La Trobe Uni Mountaineering Club
- Melbourne University Mountaineering Club
- Monash University Outdoors Club
- RMIT Outdoors Club
General entry prices into the gym include entry and unlimited climbing for the day.Now valid for 2hr 45min session (due to COVID Restrictions)
- Harness and climbing shoe hire will be required if you do not have your own
Forms & extras
Agreement Form (Ages 11+) - For CBD venue onlyFor CBD venue only; Nunawading uses electronic form completed in venue.
For participants aged 11 & over. Save time on the day; fill out a form and bring it in.